Quarry GardenShanghai, China
- The 10-acre Quarry Garden is located at the center of Shanghai Chen Mountain Botanical Garden.
- An abandoned rock quarry was transformed into an ecological public garden.
- A rocky area near the entrance was transformed into a new “biocoenosis” – a self-regulating ecological community. The land was reshaped and plants were established around its edges.
- Exposed hills and rock walls were reconfigured as pathways to allow access to the deep pool, the central feature of the landscape.
- The landscape design pays homage to the Chinese landscape architectural traditions while also putting a spotlight on the destructive history of mining in China.
- Opened in 2011, 3 million visited the garden in the first year. Ever since, the garden receives about 10,000 visitors every day.