California Academy of SciencesSan Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- The California Academy of Sciences is the only museum in the world with LEED-Platinum certification.
- The 2.5-acre green roof includes nearly1.7 million native California plants, all of which require little or no irrigation.
- A 3,500-square foot observation deck creates an outdoor museum exhibit with scenic views of the green roof and Golden Gate Park. The deck can hold up to 200 people.
- The six-inch deep living roof helps reduce stormwater runoff by more than 90 percent.
- The green roof contains 62,000 photovoltaic cells that supply almost 213,000 kilowatt hours of clean energy per year, meeting about five percent of the new academy's needs.