Click here to view the Research category for the 2006 ASLA Professional Awards Video.
In partnership with the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture and Landscape Journal.
Recognizes: research that identifies and investigates challenges posed in landscape architecture, providing results that advance the body of knowledge for the profession.
Typical entries include: investigations into methods, techniques, or materials related to landscape architecture practice or education; assessments of social, economic, or environmental impacts of landscape architecture; study of relationships of landscape architecture to law, education, public health and safety, or public policy; and more.
Criteria: The jury will consider how the research is framed; the context and resources of the study; the methods of inquiry; the results of investigation; and the lesson value of the research conclusions to the field at large.
Recognition: The Professional Awards Jury and the Student Awards Jury may each select one Award of Excellence and any number of Honor Awards in this category.
Research Category Entry Instructions
Entrants in this category will submit:
- A completed official Entry Binder
- A completed Concealed Identification and Credit Form
- A CD-ROM containing the contents of the official Entry Binder and Concealed Identification and Credit Form in electronic format.
Official Entry Binder
Upon receipt of entry form and payment (if applicable), ASLA will issue an official, numbered entry binder. All submission materials must fit into this binder, which contains 24 page views in an 8.5” x 11” format. The jury will not consider any material that is oversized, behind other items, or submitted outside the binder. Materials in the binder must not reveal the names of the entrant and/or landscape architects, firms, other designers, students, schools, photographers, etc. Use an easily readable typeface, such as Times Roman, Garamond, or Arial, no smaller than 10-point size, for all text. Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Entry binders in the Research Category must contain the following items:
1. Descriptive Data Summary: The first three (3) views of the Entry Binder must include a descriptive data summary of up to three (3) typed pages.
- Identification: At the top of the first page, list the following information in this order:
- Entry Number and Project Title
- For student entrants only: please indicate level of study as Undergraduate, Graduate, or Second Professional Degree and if the project is an individual or a team effort.
- Project Statement: In 75 words or less, describe the project and why it is award-worthy. This statement may be used in promotional materials if the project is selected for an award.
- Project Narrative: Addressing the criteria for the Research category, describe the problem researched, relationships investigated, method of inquiry used, results of research (which may refer to statistical or other analysis that can be included under “Images” in the binder), conclusions concerning the significance of the results, comparisons with past research, applicability to landscape architecture practice, and the need for new or further research.
2. Images: Include at least five (5) but no more than fifteen (15) total images, which may include graphs or statistical tables illustrating the project narrative. Images must be 8.5” x 11” format, portrait or landscape orientation. Brief captions of no more than 40 words each may be placed on each image page or listed in order on a single sheet in the binder at the beginning of the images section. Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography credit when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees. ASLA and CELA retain the right to publish photos submitted in winning entries in Landscape Architecture magazine or Landscape Journal, on the ASLA and CELA web sites, and in promoting the awards program.
Concealed Identification and Credit Form
Please list all project credits on the Concealed Identification and Credit Form. Right click and “Save Link/Target As” and open with word processing application (MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad, etc.).
The CD-ROM must contain the contents of the official entry binder and the Concealed Identification and Credit form as submitted to the awards program. Text documents must be in a word processing application (such as rich text format, MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad). Images must be in .jpg format and the dimensions should be 3000 pixels x 2400 pixels, at a minimum of 300 ppi (pixels per inch). Label each image with the entry number and the number of the image. For example, if the entry number is “123,” label the .jpg files as 123-01, 123-02, 123-03, and so on. Please label the CD-ROM jewel case with the entry number.
Back to Top^