General Design Category
Click here to view the General Design category for the 2006 ASLA Professional Awards Video.
Recognizes: site-specific works of landscape architecture or urban design. Professional entries in this category must be built; Student Awards entries are not required to be built.
Typical entries include: public, institutional, or private landscapes, of all kinds; historic preservation, reclamation, conservation, or sustainable design; design for transportation or infrastructure; landscape art or installation; interior landscape design; green roofs; and more.
Criteria: The jury will consider the quality of design and execution (for professionals); context; environmental sensitivity and sustainability; and design value to the client and to other designers.
Recognition: The Professional Awards Jury and the Student Awards Jury may each select one Award of Excellence and any number of Honor Awards in this category.
General Design Category Entry Instructions
Entrants in this category will submit:
- A completed official Entry Binder
- A completed Concealed Identification and Credit Form
- A CD-ROM containing the contents of the official Entry Binder and Concealed Identification and Credit Form in electronic format.
Official Entry Binder
Upon receipt of entry form and payment (if applicable), ASLA will issue an official, numbered entry binder. All submission materials must fit into this binder, which contains 24 page views in an 8.5” x 11” format. The jury will not consider any material that is oversized, behind other items, or submitted outside the binder. Materials in the binder must not reveal the names of the entrant and/or landscape architects, firms, other designers, students, schools, photographers, etc. Use an easily readable typeface, such as Times Roman, Garamond, or Arial, no smaller than 10-point size, for all text. Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Entry binders in the General Design Category must contain the following items:
1. Descriptive Data Summary: The first two (2) views of the Entry Binder must include a descriptive data summary of up to two (2) typed pages.
- Identification: At the top of the first page, list the following information in this order:
- Entry Number and Project Title
- Project Location
- Project Type (park, commercial campus, memorial, etc.)
- For student entrants only: please indicate level of study as Undergraduate, Graduate, or Second Professional Degree and if the project is an individual or a team effort.
- Project Statement: In 75 words or less, describe the project and why it is award-worthy. This statement may be used in promotional materials if the project is selected for an award.
- Project Narrative: Addressing the criteria for the General Design category, describe the project location, scope and size, site and context investigation, design program, design intent, environmental impact and concerns, collaboration with the owner and other designers, and other significant issues.
2. Site Plan: The third view of the Entry Binder should be a simple site plan to give the jurors context of the entire project. It should be in 8.5” x 11” format, landscape or portrait orientation.
3. Drawings and Photographs: Include at least five (5) but no more than fifteen (15) total drawings and/or photographs of the project. Drawings or photographs must be 8.5” x 11” format, portrait or landscape orientation. Brief captions of no more than 40 words each may be placed on each photo page or listed in order on a single sheet in the binder at the beginning of the drawings/photos section. Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography credit when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees. ASLA retains the right to publish photos submitted in winning entries in Landscape Architecture magazine, on the ASLA web site, and in promoting the awards program.
4. Plant List: Include a simple list of plants (Latin names are not required) featured in the project.
Concealed Identification and Credit Form
Please list all project credits on the Concealed Identification and Credit Form. Right click and “Save Link/Target As” and open with word processing application (MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad, etc.).
The CD-ROM must contain the contents of the official entry binder and the Concealed Identification and Credit form as submitted to the awards program. Text documents must be in a word processing application (such as rich text format, MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad). Photographs and drawings must be in .jpg format and the dimensions should be 3000 pixels x 2400 pixels, at a minimum of 300 ppi (pixels per inch). Label each image with the entry number and the number of the image. For example, if the entry number is “123,” label the .jpg files as 123-01, 123-02, 123-03, and so on. Please label the CD-ROM jewel case with the entry number.
Back to Top^