Click here to view the Communications category for the 2006 ASLA Professional Awards Video.
Recognizes: achievements in communicating landscape architecture works, techniques, technologies, history, or theory, and the lesson value to an intended audience.
Typical entries include: print media, film, video, audio, CD, or DVD formats; online communications; interpretive design; exhibition design; and more. For students, project representations may also be entered in this category.
Criteria: The jury will consider the effectiveness of message presentation, innovation in approach or delivery, and value to the intended audience.
Recognition: The Professional Awards Jury and the Student Awards Jury may each select one Award of Excellence and any number of Honor Awards in this category.
Communications Category Entry Instructions
Entrants in this category will submit:
- A completed official Entry Binder
- A completed Concealed Identification and Credit Form
- A CD-ROM containing the contents of the official Entry Binder and Concealed Identification and Credit Form in electronic format.
Official Entry Binder
Upon receipt of entry form and payment (if applicable), ASLA will issue an official, numbered entry binder. All supporting submission materials must fit into this binder, which contains 24 page views in an 8.5” x 11” format. However, unlike the other categories of awards, entrants in the Communications Category may also submit an actual example of the item being entered. For example, if submitting a book, video, or DVD, a copy of the book, video, or DVD should be included along with the entry binder describing it. Please label such items with the entry number. As much as possible without editing or defacing the communications item itself, please conceal the identity of the author, publisher, producer, creator, etc. Materials in the binder must not reveal the names of the entrant and/or landscape architects, firms, other designers, students, schools, photographers, etc. Use an easily readable typeface, such as Times Roman, Garamond, or Arial, no smaller than 10-point size, for all text. Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Entry binders in the Communications Category must contain the following items:
1. Descriptive Data Summary: The first two (2) views of the Entry Binder must include a descriptive data summary of up to two (2) typed pages.
- Identification: At the top of the first page, list the following information in this order:
- Entry Number and Project Title
- Media type (book, video, DVD, web site, etc.)
- For student entrants only: please indicate level of study as Undergraduate, Graduate, or Second Professional Degree and if the project is an individual or a team effort.
- Project Statement: In 75 words or less, describe the project and why it is award-worthy. This statement may be used in promotional materials if the project is selected for an award.
- Project Narrative: Addressing the criteria for the Communications category, describe the intended purpose, audience, message(s), impact and effectiveness, distribution method (commercial bookstores, Internet, etc.), circulation/distribution (number), and other issues as appropriate.
2. Images: Include at least five (5) but no more than fifteen (15) total images, which may include graphs or statistical tables illustrating the project narrative. Images must be 8.5” x 11” format, portrait or landscape orientation. Brief captions of no more than 40 words each may be placed on each image page or listed in order on a single sheet in the binder at the beginning of the images section. Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography credit when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees. ASLA retains the right to publish photos submitted in winning entries in Landscape Architecture magazine, on the ASLA web site, and in promoting the awards program.
Concealed Identification and Credit Form
Please list all project credits on the Concealed Identification and Credit Form. Right click and “Save Link/Target As” and open with word processing application (MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad, etc.).
The CD-ROM must contain the contents of the official entry binder and the Concealed Identification and Credit form as submitted to the awards program. Text documents must be in a word processing application (such as rich text format, MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad). Images must be in .jpg format and the dimensions should be 3000 pixels x 2400 pixels, at a minimum of 300 ppi (pixels per inch). Label each image with the entry number and the number of the image. For example, if the entry number is “123,” label the .jpg files as 123-01, 123-02, 123-03, and so on. Please label the CD-ROM jewel case with the entry number.
Back to Top^