NOTE: An official entrant in the Professional Awards Communications category is not required to be a landscape architecture professional.
Recognizes: achievements in communicating landscape architecture works, techniques, technologies, history, or theory, and the lesson value to an intended audience.
Typical entries include: print media, film, video, audio, CD, or DVD formats; online communications; interpretive design; exhibition design; and more.
Criteria: The jury will consider the effectiveness of message presentation, the innovation in approach or delivery, and the value to the intended audience.
Recognition: The Professional Awards Jury and the Student Awards Jury may each select one Award of Excellence and any number of Honor Awards in this category.
Entrants in this category will submit:
- a completed official entry binder
- a completed Concealed Identification and Credit Form
- a CD-ROM or USB Flash Drive containing the above two items in electronic format
Official Entry Binder
Upon receipt of the entry form and payment, ASLA will issue an official, numbered entry binder for each project to be submitted. Each entry kit contains a submission binder, forms, and instructions. All submission materials must fit into this binder, which contains 24 page views in an 8.5” x 11” format. However, unlike the other categories of awards, entrants in the Communications category may also submit an actual example of the item being entered. For example, if submitting a book, video, or DVD, a copy of the book, video, or DVD should be included along with the entry binder describing it. Please label such items with the entry number. Treat the submissions binder like a marketing brochure for the actual item being entered.
Entrants must use an easily readable typeface, such as Times Roman, Garamond, or Arial, no smaller than 10-point size, for all text. Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Entry binders in the Communications Category must contain the following items:
- Descriptive Data Summary: The first two (2) views of the entry binder must include a descriptive data summary of up to two (2) typed pages. Please use the appropriate form provided for Professionals and for Students.
- Images*: Include at least five (5) but no more than fifteen (15) total images (graphs, drawings, photographs) to illustrate the project. Images must be 8.5” x 11” format, portrait or landscape orientation. Brief captions of no more than 40 words each are to be placed at the bottom of each image or opposite the image in the book. Also, please submit a separate text document containing all of the captions.
Concealed Identification and Credit Form
Please list all project credits on the Concealed Identification and Credit Form.
CD-ROM / USB Flash Drive
The CD-ROM / USB Flash Drive must contain the contents of the official entry binder and the Concealed Identification and Credit Form as submitted to the awards program. Images must be in .jpg format at a minimum of 300 dpi. Label each image with the entry number and the number of the image. For example, if the entry number is “123,” label the .jpg files as 123-01, 123-02, 123-03, and so on. Please label the CD-ROM jewel case / USB Flash Drive with the entry number.
*Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography and other project credits when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees. ASLA retains the right to publish photos submitted in winning entries in Landscape Architecture magazine, on the ASLA website, in promoting the awards program, and in other products in conjunction with promoting landscape architecture.