The Student Community Service Award
Recognizes: pro bono community service by students demonstrating sound principles and values of landscape architecture.
Typical entries include: individual students, student teams, or student organizations providing pro bono community-based advocacy or public service.
Criteria: The jury will consider the effectiveness related to the service and the demonstration value to other communities, students, and professionals.
Recognition: The Student Awards Jury may select one Award of Excellence and any number of Honor Awards in this category.
Entrants in this category will submit:
- a completed official entry binder
- a completed Concealed Identification and Credit Form
- a CD-ROM or USB Flash Drive containing the above two items in electronic format
Official Entry Binder
Upon receipt of the entry form and payment, ASLA will issue an official, numbered entry binder for each project to be submitted. Each entry kit contains a submission binder, forms, and instructions. All submission materials must fit into this binder, which contains 24 page views in an 8.5” x 11” format. The jury will not consider any material that is oversized, behind other items, or submitted outside the binder, and will not remove any materials from the sleeves (such as pamphlets or brochures).
Materials in the binder must not reveal the names of the students, schools, or advisors. Entrants must use an easily readable typeface, such as Times Roman, Garamond, or Arial, no smaller than 10-point size, for all text. Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Upon receipt, all entry materials become the property of ASLA and will not be returned.
Entry binders in the Student Community Service Award category must contain the following items:
- Descriptive Data Summary: The first two (2) views of the entry binder must include a descriptive data summary of up to two (2) typed pages.
- Site Plan (if applicable): The next view of the entry binder should be a simple site plan to give the jurors context of the entire project. It should be in 8.5” x 11” format, landscape or portrait orientation.
- Images*: Include at least five (5) but no more than fifteen (15) total images (graphs, drawings, photographs) to illustrate the project. Montages and/or overlays are not allowed. Images must be 8.5” x 11” format, portrait or landscape orientation. Brief captions of no more than 40 words each are to be placed at the bottom of each image or opposite the image in the book. Also, please submit a separate text document containing all of the captions.
Concealed Identification and Credit Form
Please list all project credits on the Concealed Identification and Credit Form.
CD-ROM / USB Flash Drive
The CD-ROM / USB Flash Drive must contain the contents of the official entry binder and the Concealed Identification and Credit Form as submitted to the awards program. Images must be in .jpg format at a minimum of 300 dpi. Label each image with the entry number and the number of the image. For example, if the entry number is “123,” label the .jpg files as 123-01, 123-02, 123-03, and so on. Please label the CD-ROM jewel case / USB Flash Drive with the entry number.
*Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography and other project credits when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees. ASLA retains the right to publish photos submitted in winning entries in Landscape Architecture magazine, on the ASLA website, in promoting the awards program, and in other products in conjunction with promoting landscape architecture.