Student Collaboration Category
Recognizes: collaborative work by landscape architecture students with students from allied and/or complementary disciplines, including those in other design fields, business, and the natural and social sciences, for example. Student entries are not required to be built.
Typical entries include: landscape architecture projects that meet the criteria within the categories of General Design, Residential Design, Analysis and Planning, Research, Communications, and Community Service brought about through collaborative effort among students from landscape architecture programs and allied and/or complementary disciplines.
Criteria: Projects submitted in this category must be team projects and each team must include at least one landscape architecture student and one non-landscape architecture student. The jury will evaluate the project under the criteria outlined in the appropriate category and will also consider the demonstration of collaboration among the disciplines represented on each team.
Recognition: The Student Awards jury may select one Award of Excellence and any number of Honor Awards in this category.
Entrants in this category will submit:
Official Entry Binder
Upon receipt of the entry form and payment, ASLA will issue an official, numbered entry binder for each project to be submitted. Each entry kit contains a submission binder, forms, and instructions. All submission materials must fit into this binder, which contains 24 page views in an 8.5” x 11” format. The jury will not consider any material that is oversized, behind other items, or submitted outside the binder, and will not remove any materials from the sleeves (such as pamphlets or brochures).
Materials in the binder must not reveal the names of the students, schools, advisors, etc. Entrants must use an easily readable typeface, such as Times Roman, Garamond, or Arial, no smaller than 10-point size, for all text. Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Upon receipt, all entry materials become the property of ASLA and will not be returned.
Entry binders in the Student Collaboration Category must contain the following items:
1. Descriptive Data Summary: Use the Student Descriptive Data Summary Form for the sub-category most closely fitting the entry (General Design, Residential Design, Analysis and Planning, Research, Communications, and Community Service).
2. Team Description: Without identifying the team members by name, identify each team member by field of study, level of study (undergraduate, graduate, or second professional degree), and what responsibilities they had for the project. Describe the project and the collaboration among team members. Pay particular attention to describing the role of the landscape architecture student(s), how landscape architecture contributed to the success of the project, what the landscape architecture student(s) learned from the other field(s) of study, and vice versa. Limit: one typed page, single-spaced.
3. Site Plan (if applicable). The next view of the Entry Binder should be a simple site plan to give the jurors context of the entire project. It should be in 8.5” x 11” format, landscape or portrait orientation.
4. Images*: Include at least five (5) but no more than fifteen (15) total images (graphs, drawings, photographs) to illustrate the research. Images must be 8.5” x 11” format, portrait or landscape orientation. Brief captions of no more than 40 words each are to be placed at the bottom of each image or opposite the image in the book.
5. Plant List (if applicable): Include a simple list of plants (Latin names are not required) featured in the project.
Concealed Identification and Credit Form
Please list all project credits on the Concealed Identification and Credit Form.
*Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography and other project credits when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees. ASLA retains the right to publish photos submitted in winning entries in Landscape Architecture magazine, on the ASLA web site, in promoting the awards program, and in other products in conjunction with promoting landscape architecture.
The CD-ROM must contain the contents of the official entry binder and the Concealed Identification and Credit form as submitted to the awards program. Text documents must be in a word processing application (such as rich text format, MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad), not a portable document format (.PDF) file. Photographs and drawings must be in .jpg format at a minimum of 300 ppi (pixels per inch). Label each image with the entry number and the number of the image. For example, if the entry number is “123,” label the .jpg files as 123-01, 123-02, 123-03, and so on. Please label the CD-ROM jewel case with the entry number.
Back to Top^