Recognizes: achievements in communicating landscape architecture works, techniques, technologies, history, or theory, and their lesson value to the intended audience.
Typical entries include: print media, film, video, audio, CD, or DVD formats; online communications; interpretive design; exhibition design; and more. For students, project representations may also be entered in this category.
Criteria: The jury will consider the effectiveness of message presentation, innovation in approach or delivery, and value to the intended audience.
Recognition: The Professional Awards Jury and the Student Awards Jury may each select one Award of Excellence and any number of Honor Awards in this category.
Communications Category Rules and Entry Instructions
- Non-landscape architects may enter the Professional Communications Category.
- Entrants submitting in this category should use the Entry Binder to submit materials describing the value of the communications item being submitted to the jury. For example, members of the jury will not have time to read an entire book or view an entire video, but can appreciate the value of these items if they are properly described in the Entry Binder.
Communications Category Entry Instructions
- The Descriptive Data Summary, drawings and/or photographs, supporting materials, Communications Concealed Identification and Credit Form, and CD-ROM, must fit into the official entry binder provided by the ASLA. The binder contains 24 views in 8.5” x 11” format. The jury will not consider any items that are oversized or behind other items.
- Unlike the other categories of awards, submissions in the Communications Category may include items that do not fit into the Entry Binder. For example, if submitting a book or video, a copy of the book or video should be included along with the Entry Binder containing the other materials. Please label such items with the Entry Binder number.
- To the extent possible without editing or defacing the communications item, please conceal the identity of the author, publisher, producer, creator, etc., within the Entry Binder and on the item.
- Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography credit when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees.
- Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Entry binders must contain the following items:
- Descriptive Data Summary: Complete the form and place the two (2) pages so that they show as the first two views of the Entry Binder.
Professional Communications Descriptive Data Summary Form
Student Communications Descriptive Data Summary Form
- Drawings and Photographs:
- Submit at least five (5), but no more than ten (10) total drawings, photographs, or images in both hard copy and electronically on a CD-ROM (see details below).
- Hard copy drawings and photographs must be 8” x 10” in either landscape or portrait format. No collages or smaller format photos will be accepted.
- Descriptions of Drawings and Photographs: On a separate, one-page, typed sheet, please provide one or two sentences describing each drawing and photo. Place the sheet in the view immediately following the photos in the Entry Binder.
- Concealed Identification and Credit Form: Complete the form and attach to the front cover of the Entry Binder with a paperclip (please do not staple).
Professional Communications Concealed Identification and Credit Form
Student Communications Concealed Identification and Credit Form
- Copy of Submission on CD-ROM [required]:
- Save all Entry Binder contents on an IBM-compatible CD-ROM.
- The Descriptive Data Summary, descriptions of drawings and photographs, and Concealed Identification and Credit form should be saved in a word processing application (such as rich text format, MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad, etc.).
- Photographs and drawings must be stored in JPEG format and the dimensions should be 3000 pixels x 2400 pixels, at a minimum of 300 ppi (pixels per inch). Label each image with your Entry Binder number and the number of the image. For example, if your entry number is “123,” you will label your JPEG files as 123-01, 123-02, 123-03, and so on.
- Please label the CD-ROM jewel case with your Entry Binder number and secure the CD-ROM in the pocket inside the front cover of the Entry Binder.
To download and edit forms:
- Place cursor over highlighted link;
- Right click on mouse to show menu of options;
- Click “Save Link/Target As” and save to your hard drive (under a name and place you can easily find);
- Open with word processing application (MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad, etc.).
Back to Top^