ASLA 2004 Awards
Communications Category Rules and Entry Instructions
- Individuals, firms, owners, public agencies, organizations, or other
entities may enter the Communications Category.
- Entrants submitting in this category should use the Entry Binder
to submit materials describing the value of the communications item
being submitted to the jury. For example, members of the jury may not
have time to read an entire book or view an entire video, but can appreciate
the value of these items if they are properly described in the Entry
- The Descriptive Data Summary, drawings and/or photographs, supporting
materials, Communications Concealed
Identification and Credit Form (.doc), and CD-ROM, must
fit into the official entry binder provided by the ASLA. The binder
contains 24 views in 8.5” x 11” format. The jury will not
consider any items that are oversized or behind other items.
- Unlike the other categories of awards, submissions in the Communications
Category may include items that do not fit into the Entry Binder. For
example, if submitting a book or video, a copy of the book or video
should be included along with the Entry Binder containing the other
materials. Please label such items with the Entry Binder number.
- To the extent possible without editing or defacing the communications
item, please conceal the identity of the author, publisher, producer,
creator, etc., within the Entry Binder and on the item.
- Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers
for publication and reproduction by ASLA. ASLA will provide proper photography
credit when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any
copyrights or photography fees.
- Binder covers may not be altered in any manner.
Entry binders should contain the following items:
- Descriptive Data Summary: Complete the form and
place the two (2) pages so that they show as the first two views of
the Entry Binder. Communications
Descriptive Data Summary Form (.rtf)
- Drawings and Photographs:
- Please submit at least five (5), but no more than ten (10) total
drawings, photographs, or images in both hard copy and electronically
on a CD-ROM (see details below).
- Hard copy drawings and photographs must be 8” x 10”
in either landscape or portrait format. No collages or smaller format
photos will be considered.
- Descriptions of Drawings and Photographs: On a separate,
one-page, typed sheet, please provide one or two sentences describing
each drawing and photo. Place the sheet in the view immediately following
the photos in the Entry Binder.
- Concealed Identification and Credit Form: Complete
the Communications Concealed
Identification and Credit Form (.doc) and attach to the
front cover of the Entry Binder with a paperclip (please do not staple).
- Copy of Submission on CD-ROM [required]:
- Save all Entry Binder contents on an IBM-compatible CD-ROM.
- The Descriptive Data Summary, descriptions of drawings and photographs,
and Concealed Identification and Credit form should be saved in
a word processing application (such as rich text format, MS Word,
WordPerfect, WordPad, etc.).
- Photographs and drawings must be stored in JPEG format and the
dimensions should be 3000 pixels x 2400 pixels, at a minimum of
300 ppi (pixels per inch). Label each image with your Entry Binder
number and the number of the image. For example, if your entry number
is “123,” you will label your JPEG files as 123-01,
123-02, 123-03, and so on.
- Please label the CD-ROM jewel case with your Entry Binder number
and secure the CD-ROM in the pocket inside the front cover of the
To download and edit forms:
- Place cursor over highlighted link;
- Right click on mouse to show menu of options;
- Click “Save Link/Target As” and save to your hard drive
(under a name and place you can easily find);
- Open with word processing application (MS Word, WordPerfect, WordPad,