In 2000, the American Society of Landscape Architects created The Jot D. Carpenter Teaching Medal to celebrate the outstanding life and career of Professor Jot D. Carpenter, FASLA, past president of the ASLA.
Professor Carpenter's position as Professor of Landscape Architecture at Ohio State University was a formidable platform to showcase his honor, commitment, and energy as an educator, leaving an indelible mark on landscape architecture education. This medal honors his contribution to education and the profession.
Purpose: To recognize an individual who has made a sustained and significant contribution to landscape architecture education.
Eligibility: Nominees must be full-time, retired, or emeritus landscape architecture faculty members who have made sustained, significant contributions to a landscape architecture program and advocated for ASLA and the landscape architecture profession to students.
Frequency: One medal is awarded annually.
Nomination Process: Nominations may be made by an ASLA professional member or an ASLA chapter. Nominations are to be kept confidential. Nominees should not be made aware of their nominations or asked to participate in the preparation of their nomination materials.
All nominations must be submitted in a single black 1/2 inch view binder to ASLA by March 25, 2016 5:00 pm EST. Each nomination to include:
- A letter of nomination describing the nominee's qualifications for the medal; the letter may be no more than five (5) pages in length;
- Photo of nominee;
- Up to five (5) letters of endorsement.
Please send nomination packages to:
Jot D. Carpenter Medal Nominations
c/o Carolyn Mitchell
636 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001-3736
Selection Criteria: The Jot D. Carpenter Teaching Medal will be awarded to a faculty member who exemplifies the following qualities:
- Demonstrated excellence in classroom instruction from the perspectives of students and peers, resulting in positive educational outcomes;
- Demonstrated commitment to the growth and development of students;
- Consistent availability to students for advice and guidance;
- Use of innovative teaching methods and techniques;
- Personal integrity;
- Passion and enthusiasm for the profession of landscape architecture;
- Record of actively encouraging student participation in the American Society of Landscape Architects.
Selection Process: The Executive Committee reviews all nominations and forwards no more than two nominees to the Board of Trustees (BOT) for final selection. The BOT selects the medal recipient by secret ballot during the mid-year meeting (held in the Spring). The medal recipient is notified by the president and invited to attend the ASLA Annual Conference (held in the Fall) where the medal will be awarded.
Questions? Contact Carolyn Mitchell, Honors and Awards Coordinator, 202-216-2331
NOTE: Email subject line must read "JOT CARPENTER MEDAL."