The addition to the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences building will become Butler University’s first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver facility. The original structure at the Indianapolis, Indiana University was occupied in 1951, and provided a baseline for architects to blend the old with new sustainable, green architecture.
Butler’s green efforts began in the mid-1990s when it converted to a central chilled water loop, and completed a campus-wide lighting retrofit. More recently, Butler has ramped up its recycling program. A $25,000 grant from the Indiana Department of Environmental Management allowed the University to increase the number of recycling stations across campus, as well as purchase a vehicle to transport recycled materials.
Images courtesy of Ron Howe.
Ron Howe, ASLA, is Campus Landscape Architect at Butler University and can be reached at: email@example.com.