Mount Auburn Cemetery

A walking tour of the Mount Auburn Cemetery is a delight at all seasons of the year. In the wintery months, the low evergreen shrubs and tall trees give a special definition to the dells and hollows. The cemetery was established by the Massachusetts Horticultural Society in 1831 by a committee. Back then, they wrote “that it is expedient to purchase, for a garden and a cemetery, a tract of land, commonly known by the name of Sweet Auburn, near the road leading from Cambridge to Watertown.” In 1835 the proprietors of the cemetery, now called Mount Auburn, took ownership of the cemetery from the Horticultural Society.

View Sites Nearby

Comments
Leave a Comment
name (required)  

email address (required)  
website