Forest Hills Cemetery

Founded in 1848, Forest Hills Cemetery is an early example of the rural garden cemetery movement of the 19th century. Located adjacent to Franklin Park, the largest of the parks in the Emerald Necklace, Forest Hills Cemetery was built 30 years before the Olmsted masterpiece.

The influence of Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, the first rural garden cemetery founded in 1831, is clearly seen in the curved geometry of the lanes and paths, their names botanically inspired.

Forest Hills is an important asset for the community, who use it regularly for walking, biking, birding, picnicking, and the annual Lantern Festival.

View Sites Nearby

Comments
Leave a Comment
name (required)  

email address (required)  
website