Allandale Woods

Your Guide
Joe Geller, FASLA
geller_small

At 86 acres, Allandale Woods is the second-largest unfragmented woodland in Boston and the largest natural area in Jamaica Plain. Much of the land was part of the original Weld estate that Governor Winthrop awarded to Captain Joseph Weld for his actions in the Pequot war of 1637. 

It's now owned by the Boston parks and recreation department and conservation commission; its private lands are subject to city-administered conservation easements. This open space forms a major component in the "Charles to Charles open space corridor" that connects the Charles River to many of Boston’s neighborhoods through public and private conserved land.

The woods have a number of interesting features, including wetlands, ponds, and what might be the only pristine secondary growth oak-hickory forest in Boston.

There's the “Allandale Wall,” a stone wall constructed as a boundary, which bisects and encloses sections of the property, separating private from public land. The wall has interest as a landscape feature because it intersects with trees and other landscape elements.

The site is also home to exposed Roxbury puddingstone, a conglomerate rock found primarily in Boston that was quarried in the 19th and 20th centuries and used for masonry on many of the public buildings in the area.

View Sites Nearby

Comments
Leave a Comment
name (required)  

email address (required)  
website