Veterans Memorial Design Competition
9/25/2013 - 11/1/2013
Competitions / Awards
DESIGN COMPETITION GUIDELINES
The memorial must stand as a tribute to the patriotic and courageous men and women who served this nation. This memorial should reflect the bravery, sacrifice and strength they gave our country.
The design must include space and infrastructure which will accommodate parking, sound systems, podium placement, power and an audience with chairs and standing room for at least 100 people.
Important Aspects of the Design:
- Submissions may include but are not limited to landscape, sculpture, lighting, and architectural and artistic design elements.
- Consideration must be given to the recommended size, weight, and durability of memorial elements and components of the proposal.
- Use of materials which are durable for Missouri City, Texas, climate conditions, limited maintenance and repair requirements, and use of eco-friendly materials in the design will be factors in the design selection.
- Consideration must be given to the use of materials “native” to Texas.
Potential city locations for designers to consider:
- Community Park , 1700 Glenn Lakes
- American Legion Park, 4015 Lexington Blvd.
- City Hall Complex, 1522 Texas Parkway.
Goals of the competition:
- To create a lasting memorial to honor all veterans.
- To draw upon the talents of artists to identify design concepts for an inspiring memorial that celebrates those men and women who served and memorialize those who gave their lives.
- To select a design that will serve as a focal point and which illustrates the high respect the citizens of Missouri City have for the men and women who have defended the rights and freedoms of this nation.
- To provide a tribute for the men and women who have served and are serving in the Armed Forces of the United States.To raise awareness of the contributions made by veterans.
- To establish a central site for the citizens of Missouri City to conduct official observances, activities and ceremonies to honor veterans including Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
Creativity: Missouri City is looking for something as unique as our community.
Durability: Your design should be able to sustain the elements year-round.
Sustainability: Please consider environmentally friendly materials.
Feasibility: Funds to build this element will be drawn from overall fundraising campaign.
Two 11x17 boards submitted as a PDF that includes renderings, illustrations, benchmark images, and design details.
Please list the suggested materials needed to build your design.
Entries are welcomed from individuals or groups. Please submit final PDFs and any questions to Larry Foos, CPRP, director of Parks and Recreation, at 1-281-403-8630 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All design proposals must be fully compliant with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
All designs will consist of at least 2 flag poles. The American Flag and Texas State Flag will be on display 24 hours a day. Proper etiquette requires that the American Flag be illuminated at night.
Submission deadline is at 5:00 pm on Friday, November 1, 2013.
A selection committee will convene to review design submittals in November. A selection committee will announce the winning design in December.